top of page

Financial or Practical Aid


Under certain circumstances, and entirely at the discretion of the committee, financial and/or practical aid may be available to sufferers and/or their relatives and carers in the UK and Ireland.


To ask about what help may be available, please contact the charity founder, Liz Blows, by telephone or email.

Telephone: 01482 868881


If you're unsure whether help is possible, just ask!


All contact will be treated in the strictest confidence.

Help Links (UK)

Useful page run by Disability Rights UK providing a whole range of information about how disabled people can claim benefits. Their aim is to promote the rights of disabled people in all their work and actions

Disability Rights UK site that gives an overview and explains the basic rules, rates of payment and how to claim employment and support allowance (ESA), plus links to related information on the work capability assessment

Official Gov.UK site, includes a benefits calculator to check if you can get Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit before you apply. If you’re ill or disabled, Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) offers a wide range of support

Go-to Gov.UK site for Direct Payment for Care and Services. Click here to apply for help; Direct Payment is only available if you've been assessed by social services and shown to be in need of care and support services

Official Gov.UK site that comprehensively deals with everything to do with disabilty and benefits

This page on the Gov.UK website has information on meals on wheels and how to find out if you're eligible

CarersTrust believes in a world where the role and contribution of unpaid carers is recognised and they have access to the quality support and services they need to live their own lives. Find out here how you can get help

Social Security website: CAL is a fast-track way to quickly identify diseases and other medical conditions that, by definition, meet Social Security's standards for disability benefits. Stiff Person Syndrome is included

The Motability Scheme enables disabled people to get mobile by exchanging their mobility allowance to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair. This is the official site to find out who can apply and for what

Benefit Enquiry Line (England, Wales and Scotland)

Freephone 0800 882 200 or textphone 0800 243 355. Provides advice and information for disabled people and carers on the range of benefits available.

Benefit Enquiry Line (Northern Ireland)

Freephone 0800 220674. Provides advice and information for disabled people and carers on the range of benefits available.

Technology, Apps, Equipment, Aids and Publications (UK)

A Gov.UK site pre-loaded with "disability travel" to help users get information on a wide range of topics, from foreign travel to applying for a bus pass, financial help to job seeking. Enter your own parameters in the search box to find specific information

The Rough Guide to Accessible Britain features 180 days out, all reviewed by an enthusiastic and dedicated team of disabled visitors. The Guide is a useful travel guide for anyone with accessibility needs

DisabledTravelAdvice is an independent site set up to offer a unique reference point on advice for travel for the disabled. It is designed to help travellers with a disability access services that should make their experience more enjoyable. The site includes features and articles written by experts


Changing Places Consortium is a UK facility to help the disabled find suitable toilets locally or when planning a trip. This link is to their map service which lists changing places toilets across the UK


Age UK webpage offering a wide range of information, advice and travel trips for the disabled. It includes a multitude of links to other relevant sites of interest

UK Charity Information

UK Charity Commission web image.jpg

Gov.UK site for The Charity Commission for England and Wales. It's the home page of the Commission and covers in detail everything to do with charities

Your local Age UK group aims to provide "handyperson" or home help services in your community. Or they might be able to provide details of a wide range of other services of benefit to the disabled. Call 0800 169 6565 or find your local Age UK group on the link (left)

bottom of page